Steward Observatory's white domed structure has been a prominent landmark on the University of Arizona campus in Tucson since 1920. The observatory housed a 36-inch telescope until 1963, when light pollution from a growing Tucson and UA made critical observing impossible. The telescope was moved to Kitt Peak. Today, the dome is surrounded by buildings, but still used for astronomy lectures and public programs.
Steward Observatory astronomer Dr. Thomas Fleming has researched the observatory's history. He recently created a presentation of a series of images he acquired from the UA Special Collections Library and other sources. He has given us permission to reproduce some of the slides from his presentation.
Credits: 1920-1965 images courtesy of UA Special Collections Library. Images 1970-present courtesy of Dr. Thomas Fleming/Steward Observatory.
Visit the Collecting Light website for more stories, interviews, resources and images.