/ Modified jan 9, 2015 11:44 a.m.

Pima Chancellor Applauds Obama's Plan for Free Community College

Proposal for 75% federal coverage of tuition for any state that covers 25% for C+ or better students.

President Barack Obama wants to see two-year community colleges free - at least for everyone who’s willing to 'work for it'.

Lee Lambert 071213 portrait PCC Chancellor Lee Lambert.

What does that mean? Students would need to maintain a GPA of 2.5, about a B- or C+ average, and be enrolled in a degree that is transferable to a four-year college.

Pima Community College Chancellor Lee Lambert said he applauds Obama’s plan.

“The impact would be quite significant for Pima," Lambert said. "I haven’t run the numbers, but I suspect given the demographics of students we have many of which need support and the resources that come with federal financial aid to attend, this would make a big difference for them.”

The White House says the federal government will cover 75 percent of the tuition, and states that choose to participate will contribute the other 25 percent.

Obama will discuss his plans again in his State of the Union address later this month.

By posting comments, you agree to our
AZPM encourages comments, but comments that contain profanity, unrelated information, threats, libel, defamatory statements, obscenities, pornography or that violate the law are not allowed. Comments that promote commercial products or services are not allowed. Comments in violation of this policy will be removed. Continued posting of comments that violate this policy will result in the commenter being banned from the site.

By submitting your comments, you hereby give AZPM the right to post your comments and potentially use them in any other form of media operated by this institution.
AZPM is a service of the University of Arizona and our broadcast stations are licensed to the Arizona Board of Regents who hold the trademarks for Arizona Public Media and AZPM. We respectfully acknowledge the University of Arizona is on the land and territories of Indigenous peoples.
The University of Arizona