Arizona Theatre Company’s 50th anniversary season will proceed as planned, after being threatened with financially driven cancellation just a month ago, the company said Monday.
Officials said they have raised the $2 million needed to stay in business.
Late last month ATC officials warned they would have to pull the plug on next season and go on hiatus if donors didn’t step in to save the organization.
"It was a frightening thing to face, and through some really heroic efforts, we made it by the hair on our chinny chin chin," said Artistic Director David Goldstein.
Tucsonan Mike Kasser had said he would donate $1 million dollars and called on community members to pitch in an equal amount. His pledge was matched by 448 people in Tucson and 320 from Phoenix.
"It was really gratifying to see that people embraced us as the state theatre and not the Phoenix theatre or Tucson theatre," said Goldstein.
He said the company will be taking a close look at its operations to ensure it stays financially viable.
"It's not a matter now of sitting back and being complacent, it's a matter now of keeping our feet on the gas pedal."
The curtain will rise on ATC’s 50th anniversary season Sept. 10 with the debut of the play King Charles III at the Temple of Music and Art in downtown Tucson.